Monday, May 6, 2013

Garden Plans.

tomato and basil starts

Can you tell finals week is just around the corner? Blog posts have been set aside for grading papers, planning final class sessions, and wrapping up the semester’s work. The sunshine and garden have been distracting, and while I won’t have the time do everything I'd like for a few more weeks, I’ve been satisfying my urges by planning the garden and caring for seedlings.

Here’s what will be growing in our garden this year.
Perennials already doing their business:
Rosemary
Rhubarb
mint
Oregano
sage
chives
horseradish

Started from seed:
tomatoes:
Moscovich
German Johnson
German Lunchbox
Mortgage Lifter
Giant Pink Belgian
Big Rainbow
Heirloom Rainbow mix (these will be a surprise)
Amish Paste

Jalapenos
Greek Peperoncini
Italian Peperoncini
Banana Pepper
Cucumber           
Dill
Basil
Lemon Basil
Amish Pie Pumpkin
Sugar Pie Pumpkin

Cone Flower
Pinwheel Color Zinnia
White Zinnia

Direct Sow:
Peas
Purple Pole Beans
Soy beans
Danvers Carrots
lettuce mix
spinach
Garlic
parsley
cilantro
Sunflowers

Yet to purchase:
potatoes (Yukon gold and red)
onions (red and yellow)
Brussels sprouts
butternut squash
thyme

raised bed map, 2013

I do love planning the garden. It is calming during the stress of the term. Every year I make a quick drawing, planning out companion planting and crop rotations. I keep the plans in a file so I can refer to them while planning the next. This one already has some good dirt smudges on it--always a good sign of a well used garden plan. 

Our dirt is almost ready, and we have a new drip watering system (more on that later). I'm ready for a season of growing and harvesting as much as possible from our small yard. 

What are you planting this year? I’m always looking for new ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...