Saturday, April 27, 2013

Public Knitting

We were both starting new projects today. Mine is the Honey Cowl; Gretchen's is a baby hat. 

For the last six months or so, my friend Gretchen and I have been making a point to meet each other for coffee and knitting once a month. We’re both consistently busy with work and life, but we take the time out to meet at one of our favorite local cafes.
I have grown to love these dates. Two hours a month is an extremely manageable commitment with no pressure attached, but it manages to hold both of us accountable for our craft. Even in the busiest of months, we’ve made progress on our projects; we share patterns, yarn stories, and have the time to do nothing but sit, breathe, and be in good company with yarn and knitting needles. 
I function much more calmly with busy, productive hands, but I get behind, decide I don’t like something I’ve started, and put it aside in frustration. Gretchen dates help me push through those moments. There is a satisfaction in someone else noticing your progress. Accountability. Support. Encouragement. Working in community provides all of this.
There is also something quite wonderful about working on creative projects in public spaces. I’m seeing this trend more and more, and it makes me happy. The art of handmade is making a comeback and gaining momentum; it has become trendy to make from scratch, to repurpose, and to reinvigorate classic domestic arts. Knitting (or working on similar projects) in public spaces allows others to see how the craft is done. People ask questions and notice what is being created. 
Gretchen and I get lost in conversation and stitches during our knitting sessions; every time we’ve been at the café, a barista has had to come over and tell us there’s no hurry, but that they’re closing. We finish our respective rows, pack up, and promise meet again the next month. It works for us. 
What have you seen people work on in public? Is it as inspiring as I think it should be? 

2 comments:

  1. Syrup, now knitting!? Why must you make us mere mortals look so bad!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw about five people at an ice cream shop last night putting together a website. They had a bunch of layouts and computers open, which is great, I'm happy for them, but it sure did make me feel guilty for just nibbling on a waffle cone.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...